Monday, August 26, 2013

Apple Butter { no added sugar }

When my CSA farm offered FREE apples (because they were bruised and 'imperfect') I jumped at the opportunity!  This is what arrived...


About 6 or 7 pounds of lovely, yummy, organic apples.  They just needed some tlc and a purpose.  The farm suggested that they would make for great "pie apples" but I decided to go in a different direction... APPLE BUTTER!

Now, I know apples are not considered a low-sugar or low-carb food so I wanted to create a recipe that would not add in any additional sugar or carbs.  I began my research, reading many different recipes and methods for creating apple butter.  I decided on the crock-pot method.  Seeing some common themes in spice choices and the different opinions for how much sweetness should be added, I came up with my own version of this classic.

But before getting to all those details, we must first prepare the apples! Every apple needed to be quartered and then seeds and stems removed.  Of course all bruises, blemishes and unwanted bits needed to be eliminated.  The apples were then rinsed and cleaned in cool water.


I made quick work of slicing the apples with the slicer attachment of my stand mixer.


6-1/2 pounds of sliced apples are placed into the waiting crock-pot.


I tried to keep my recipe simple.  Besides the apples, I add only 7 additional ingredients.


At this stage 6 of them are placed in a bowl...


... and combined...


The mixture is poured over the apples...


and carefully mixed in...


The mixing can be tricky because the crock-pot is so full.


Set the crock-pot to "low" and...


cover...


Check on it and stir occasionally.  This is what it loos like after 5 hours...


This is at 10 hours...


Now to add the last ingredient.  Vanilla.  You could use three whole vanilla beans and open them to scrape the pods of their seeds or you can use pure vanilla extract from your pantry.  I choose to use Ground Vanilla Bean.  It gets me closer to that fresh from the pod flavor with less cost and hassle.  When I buy this (from Amazon) it comes in a plastic zip-type bag.  I transfer it to a clean jar.


Sprinkle in the vanilla and stir it in...


Continue in crock-pot set on "low" UNCOVERED for another 2 hours.  Then it will look like this...

To get a smooth, silky, buttery consistency I used an immersion blender...


This batch went into 6 glass jars.  I filled them about 3/4 full to leave room for expansion when frozen...

 



CROCK-POT APPLE BUTTER

6-1/2 lb.     sliced apples
192 grams  100% Pure Erythritol (1 cup)
48 scoops  organic stevia extract
1 Tbsp.      ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp.       ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp.       ground cloves
1/4 tsp.       sea salt
1 Tbsp.     Ground vanilla bean or extract

1. Place the apples in a slow cooker.
2.  In a medium bowl, combine sweeteners, cinnamon, nutmeg cloves and salt. 
3.  Pour the mixture over the apples and mix well.
4. Cook in slow cooker on low for about 10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
5. Uncover, stir in vanilla and continue cooking uncovered on low for about 2 hours.
6.  Use an immersion blender to puree the apple butter until smooth.
7.  Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze.

Crock-Pot Apple Butter Nutritional Information

No comments:

Post a Comment