Friday, July 16, 2010

July Update & Body Fat is "Very Good"

According to the numbers, I have had a really good month.  It surprises me a little because I can go for days with little change (and sometimes some gains) before I have a breakthrough.  The overall trend is in a good direction so the plan must be working. :)

I achieved "Goal 5" today.  My body fat % is now in the "Very Good" range :)

I have added some new items to my "plan" (9 & 10 at the end of the post).  I am more and more convinced from my experiences and research that IF I am eating a really healthy, well-balanced diet where my Carb/Prot/Fat ratios are good, the sodium is under control, the added sugars are low and fiber is high THEN relatively more calories are better than less.  One new guideline is "daily calories are never less than 1200."  The corollary to this is "Never spend more than 7 consecutive days at less than 1500 calories."  For these guidelines I am using my "adjusted" calories number.  This is the number after I have subtracted any "free" calories.  I use the Weight Watchers and Curves "Free Foods" lists to determine my free calories.

As I cycle through the phases I am using these calorie ranges...

Phase 1 = 1200 - 1500 adjusted calories/day
7 days at Phase 1

Phase 2 = 1500 - 1950 adjusted calories/day (aim for at least 1600)
23 days at Phase 2

Phase 3 = 1950 - 2500 adjusted calories/day (aim for at least 2100)
30 days at Phase 3

If I gain 3 lbs during Phase 3 (doesn't happen often) then I switch to Phase 1 (or 2) just for a day or two to recover and then switch back to finish Phase 3.

Stuff I am loving right now...
     *  Went to Red Robin during their "Training/Preview" week.  Of course I researched exactly what I would order (on their website) before I got there :)  Mmmmmm it was delicious AND FREE :)
     *  Schwebel's "Lite" Whole Wheat Bread (also a Giant Eagle brand version)... 35 calories per slice!  I am enjoying a slice of toast with my egg every morning :)
     *  Aldi's Fit & Active Turkey Bacon... 30 calories per slice.  I have 2 of these every morning as well :) 
     *  I am loving many things Aldis right now.  I am trying to switch as much of my grocery list to the Aldi's brands as I can.  Our cat is loving the food (dry & canned) and I am finding that most of the products are as good or better than the brands I am switching from.
     *  Nutrition Label/Ingredients List reading... I know, I know, sounds boring... BUT look for the words "partially hydrogenated" or "hydrogenated"... it is amazing how often you find it... It means that there are TRANS FATS in the food... even if Trans Fats is listed as 0 per serving.  RDA says we should have less than 2 g of Trans Fat per day.... many experts say we should have 0.00 g per day.

Weight loss status...

Started June 3 2009  268.0 lbs 39.58 bmi "obese" (body fat 44% "poor")
Today   July 16 2010  161.6 lbs 23.86 bmi "normal" (body fat 25.9% "very good")

106.4 lbs down!

GOALS REVIEW (updated)...
1st goal (lose 65lbs) 203 lbs 29.98 bmi "overweight" ACHIEVED Jan 17, 2010
2nd goal (lose 99lbs) 169 lbs 24.96 bmi "healthy" ACHIEVED Jun 9, 2010

3rd goal (lose 111 lbs) 157 lbs 23.18 bmi (qualify for the 100 lb Club at Curves) by fall 2010
4th goal (lose 121lbs) 147 lbs 21.71 bmi by Dec 2010
5th goal achieve "Very Good/Fit" body fat % (22%-<26%) ACHEIVED Jul 16, 2010
6th goal achieve "Excellent" body fat % (<22%)

PLANS/GUIDELINES... (UPDATED)

1. Never Skip Breakfast! (well-balanced & trying for 1/3 of my daily calories before noon)
2. take good nutritional supplements every day
3. eat 5-9 servings of fruits and veggies per day
4. eat at least 25 g of fiber per day
5. continue Curves 3 times per week
6. Water only when out to eat... and minimum of 64 oz water each day... can you get to 128 oz?
7. Daily monitoring myself with FitClick.com
8. Follow Curves Weight Management calorie phases
9. Daily calories are never less than 1200
10. Spend no more than 7 consecutive days at less than 1500 calories.

11. Limit eating after 7:00pm (or within 3 hrs of bedtime)

(This list does not apply when fasting for reasons of a Spiritual nature!)

Any friends wanting to hold me accountable to my guidelines, or if you are just curious about what I eat... I log all my food at FitClick.com.  You can friend me there and make a "Watch List" to view my food & exercise entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment