Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Food Find! Shirataki Noodles

Tofu-shiratakiI was grocery shopping last week and saw an interesting package in on the tofu shelf.  It is called Tofu Shirataki- "spaghetti shaped noodle substitute."  When I looked at the nutrition info I went into shock!  A 4 oz serving = 20 calories.  The whole 8oz bag = 40 calories!  Really?  Are they serious?  Now, I have never had tofu before but this might be perfect for my first experience.

Prepared a whole package for myself that evening.  I emptied the bag into a colander then rinsed it well with cool water.  I put the rinsed noodles in a ceramic bowl and microwaved it for 1 minute.  I heated a prepared meatball and some spaghetti sauce and then mixed in the heated noodles.

My Verdict...
The noodle texture is different from traditional pasta but the flavor was absolutely fine.  I enjoyed the whole bowlful with no guilt and no post-carb cravings*.  I will absolutely get these again and will use them in other pasta dishes!

I found these at the Giant Eagle Market District for $1.99 per 8 oz bag.

Here is a link to the official website...
Tofu-shirataki
 
Other reviews...
http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/247


http://luckytastebuds.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/tofu-shirataki-asspaghetti/

http://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Shirataki-Noodles-Spaghetti-Shape/dp/B000AQFQC6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

___________________________________
*Post-Carb Cravings = 1.  The insatiable desire to eat more after consuming starchy and sugary carbs with high Glycemic Index (especially refined flours and sugars).  2.  The result of eating food that doesn't satisfy appetite... only fuel it.  3.  The inevitable result of eating "Trigger Foods"

No comments:

Post a Comment