Thursday, May 12, 2011

Recipe Experiments

So, in my search for the tastiest, healthiest, lowest calorie food options I have tried some strange recipes and some crazy food swaps!  I will blog more about that later :)

Right now I am on the search for a recipe to make a Miracle Whip replacement.  I want it to be tasty, low in sugar and low-cal of course.  BUT I also want my friend who can't eat gluten, dairy or eggs to be able to eat it as well.  Quite a challenge right?

I have been searching Vegan recipe sites for some options and I came up with 2 recipes that might be a good starting point.

This one from VEGAN WOLF uses flour.  So I would have to use something else... hmm, what about cornstarch?  I would also want to substitute stevia for the sugar.

3/4 cup Flour
1/2 cup Sugar (more or less to taste)
1 cup Water
1/2 cup Vinegar
------------
3/4 cup Vegetable oil
2 Tbsp Lemon juice
2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp dry Mustard
3/4 cup silken tofu

Cook together flour, sugar, water, and vinegar until thick.

Combine last 5 ingredients in a blender and blend well.

While flour mixture is still hot,
add it to blender mixture and blend.



This one from VEGAN DAD is a little different.  I would want to use almond milk instead of soy and stevia instead of sugar.



INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk
- 1 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp superfine sugar
- pinch of paprika   
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt

METHOD
1. Put soy milk in a food processor and start processing. Slowly drizzle oil in while blade is running. When all oil is incorporated, stop blade and scrape down sides. Add remaining ingredients and process briefly to mix through.
I will post an update on what I choose to do and how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment